Poinsettas and other Christmas toxins

Thanksgiving is over and the most wonderful time of the year is approaching. In preparation for Christmas, we decided to discuss some of our most common, Christmas related toxin issues. Below is a list of some of the most common Christmas items that can cause harm to your pet:

image.jpg

1. Poinsettas- Poinsettas are mildly toxic when leaves or berries are ingested. Clinical signs include vomiting, diarrhea, and less activity than normal.  

2. Don't kiss under the mistletoe! 

image.jpg

 

mistletoe and  holly can be very toxic to pets. Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea are common clinical signs. Click on mistletoe for more information.

3. Chocolate

Chocolate is most toxic in it's darker forms. Always call your vet immediately if chocolate ingestions occurs. Click on the word, chocolate for helpful videos and information on chocolate ingestion. 

4.  artificial sweeteners

Often, people with diabetic pets ask if it is ok to give them artificial sweeteners. Pets can't use xylitol and other artificial sugars the way humans can. Click on the artificial sweetener link for more info.

 

5. Christmas tree lights:

Don't turn out like Clark and cousin Eddie this Christmas. Our pets are very subject to electrocution with all the extra cords laying around.

Thanks for reading! Have a safe and Merry Christmas season. 

sincerely, 

Todd County Animal Clinic

video Block
Double-click here to add a video by URL or embed code. Learn more.